Monday, May 22, 2006

Saying goodbye

So this weekend was the first time in my life that I actually ever had to fire someone.  Technically, we were just “letting Carlos go” because his first three month contract had expired, but I’m sure it felt like getting fired when five of the six other workers got to keep their jobs.
This was something that I really feared doing, but it proved far easier than I had anticipated.  And while I was trying to be as kind as possible during the whole process (the anti-Donald Trump), what bothered me most was the way the other workers reacted.  Although they all understood my logic and reasoning, there was definitely a tenor of fear in the air when we met earlier tonight.  Maybe this is a necessity in drawing a line between manager and worker, but I’m going to keep my eye on our interactions over the next few days to make sure things stay professional, but friendly and upbeat.  

Profesionalismo no significa que no puedes sonreír!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home